Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never prior to have so numerous scientific developments and new methods emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of individuals the chance to lower or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick method to remedy vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help guarantee that you will be pleased with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser center. Find out web who will actually do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your physician will not inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask what steps are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical click treatment. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the threat of getting less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon on the planet cannot ensure 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for most individuals, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the world.